School Safety WebQuest
Sociologists & Historians
What would Sociologists and Historians say about violence at schools? Your job is to represent this perspective, to become an expert at what has happened in the past and how society affects our schools and students.
You may choose to make up your own questions or use those provided.
- Who commits these crimes? Do they fit any pattern? Can anything be done to break the pattern or heal the individuals? Can copycats crimes be reduced?
- What is the influence of media on people? What are the ideas about how it relates to violence? Should anything be done? Is there any significant difference between watching real or virtual violence?
- What aspects are marketed or shown off to help sell video / computer games?
Your answers to these questions should help you take a position on the main question(s) listed below. Remember, your answers should reflect what Sociologists & Historians would think and feel:
Use the links below to find answers. If you think you need more site to review, use the extensive Topic Hotlist and broaden your search. Especially look at the section entitled Shootings & Incidences.
Why all this violence in schools?!!
In other words...
- Why does it happen?
- Who is responsible?
- How can we stop it?
- How does all this relate to the world outside the school gates?
- Checklist of characteristics
- regarding youth who have caused school-associated violent deaths
- Clues to Identifying Violent Teens
- NewsHour Interview with James Garbarino - RealAudio version available)
- Keeping Schools Safe - avoiding copycat crimes
- from NewsHour - May 3, 1999 (also in RealAudio)
- A Deadly Trend?
- three experts address this question on NewsHour
- Was Columbine The Trigger?
- from CBS News.com
- Growing Up Scared
- from the Atlantic Monthly
- Violence on Television
- What do Children Learn? What Can Parents Do?
- The Man who Counts the Killings
- about George Gerbner, anti-fascist
- Children and TV Violence
- from The American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
- A Symbiosis of Sorts: School Violence and the Media
- from Choices Briefs
- Violent Video Games Can Increase Aggression
- APA News Release - April 23, 2000
- Wolfenstein 3D
- from the 3D Realms Web site
- Doom II - Killer Games
- from id Software
- The Realm of Mortal Kombat
- from Jeff Greeson of Hotweird.com